Moreton Bowls Club has been a part of the town’s community since 1909 when it was founded by the town’s postmaster, Claude Randall. Mr Randall offered the use of his house lawn (on the east side of Hospital Road), for a group of gentlemen to play bowls, and was elected both President and Captain of the Club .
At the end of that first season, the gentlemen played a competition to decide the best bowler. The winner was presented with a trophy donated by local benefactor, and first Chairman of the Club, Herbert D’Este East. The same Cup competition continues to this day.
During 1913, the Club moved across the road, to play on land owned by the Batsford Estate. Two World Wars took their toll, and records at that time were lost. In 1939 however, a meeting of the Moreton-in-Marsh Association of Special Constables recorded an agreement to resurrect the Bowls Club for the community. As a result, a small clubhouse was purchased and the Club Membership of around 27 came under the Presidency of Lord Dulverton, the owner of the Batsford Estate.
In 1947 a Ladies Section was created, attracting 18 new Lady Members, and the Club continued to grow.
In the early 1980’s a new stone clubhouse was built to replace the old wooden one; the bowling green was extended to create an extra rink; and a modern sprinkler system was installed.
We now have around 80 members, and, during the short April to September season, play over 80 fixtures against other clubs, including some against touring teams coming to Moreton-in-Marsh from as far afield as South Wales.
In September 2011 , the Bowls Club moved to a wonderful, new, purpose built Clubhouse and new green on Redesdale Place (behind the Esso garage), opened by David Bryant (CBE) in April 2012.